Another year of good tunes. Here are some of my favorites.
Note: Band name links to a youtube video; album name links to Spotify.
Tony’s Top 10 Albums of 2015
10. Grimes – Art Angels – Everybody’s favorite Canadian hippie, artistic, anime-loving, electronic nerd’s latest release is both strange and endearing. Can’t stop listening.
9. Django Django – Born Under Saturn – Psychedelic rock was big in 2015, and Django Django’s UK brand is full of interesting harmonies that and twists. Seeing them perform live will make you appreciate the album even more.
8. Majical Cloudz – Are You Alone? – I was late to the game on this album. It’s sad, dark, and slow – usually not the top features I seek in music, but something about compelling and haunting about Devon Welsh’s voice.
7. My Morning Jacket – The Waterfall – My favorite band comes back with another album unlike any of there others that grows and grows on you. I can’t even put this in a genre other than MMJ.
6. Unknown Mortal Orchestra – Multi-Love – With each record, UMO only gets funkier, more inventive, and better musicians. Psychedelic, funky tunes abound.
5. Courtney Barnett – Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit – She rocks and write hilarious satirical lyrics.
4. CHVRCHES – Every Open Eye – More Brit pop joy from CHURCHES sophomore release.
3. Alabama Shakes – Sound & Color – Alabama Shakes are back, more sophisticated, and more talented. So much soul went into this record.
2. Khruangbin – The Universe Smiles Upon You – Thank you, Shannon O’Neill for pointing me to this album; I can listen to this jazzy, psychedelic gem on repeat all day. “Taking influence from 1960’s Thai funk – their name literally translates to “Engine Fly” in Thai”… and they’re from Houston!
1. Tame Impala – Currents – In a recent surge of psychedelic acts, Tame Impala is at the vanguard. This album is dreamy, rocking, and beautiful all at the same time.
Lots of other good tunes this year, but that’s what I’ve got for y’all today.
Happy new year, listen to new tunes, share what you love, be good to each other, and keep on rocking.
And remember the wisdom of Frank Zappa:
“Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.”